Passport Services

Passport Applications by Appointment Only.

The Kimball Library is an official Passport Acceptance Facility for the U.S. Department of State (DOS).


An appointment is required for passport services. We have 4 agents who do this in addition to their Library jobs. They fit you into their schedules as best as they can.

Appointments may be made by calling the Library at 603-362-5234.

Passport Service Appointment Hours (BY ADVANCE APPOINTMENT ONLY)

Additional Entry Requirements

As a Passport Acceptance Facility, the Library does not issue visas. If you plan to travel to a country which requires an entry visa, please contact the Consulate or Embassy of that particular country. Visa issuance normally takes from 2 weeks to 2 months. To check the visa or other entry requirements for a specific country, please visit the website for the DOS Consular Information Program.

Required Documentation

For new adult passports, any child passport, and any renewal of a passport issued more than 15 years ago, you’ll need to apply in person. When applying for a passport in person, for each individual you need to bring:

  • A completed, unsigned application for passport (DS-11), filled out in black ink (download an application or fill out a form for printing)
  • Evidence of U.S. citizenship
  • Identification
  • A photo of yourself that meets DoS requirements. Passport photos are available at AAA, most pharmacies, and some US Post Offices.) Note: Atkinson Post Office does not provide passport application or photo services.
  • Passport fee in check, money order or cashier’s check made out to “U.S. Department of State”. Fees vary — please consult the Department of State’s website and/ or verify the amount with a Library passport acceptance agent.
  • Execution fee ($35) in cash, check, money order or cashier’s check made out to “Kimball Library.”  We also accept VISA, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover credit cards for the Execution fee only.

Find details on each required item here.

** Please note that special requirements apply for children under the age of 18 **
Please contact a passport acceptance agent or refer to the appropriate DOS webpage for guidance:
Children 16 and 17
Children under 16

Passport Renewals

If you are renewing an expired adult passport issued within the last 15 years, you will have to apply by mail. Renewal forms are available online through the Department of State website and at the Kimball Library.

Frequently Asked Questions

Find passport application details on the Department of State passport page and from the National Passport Center (877-487-2778). The U.S. Department of State has the sole responsibility for examining applications and issuing passports.

How long does the appointment take?

Please allow up to 40 minutes for one and an hour plus if multiple family members are processing passports. The length of time largely depends on how prepared you are when you arrive – copies of all pertinant documents, no errors your application, photos that are acceptable, arriving on time, etc.

How long does it take to receive my passport?

Application processing times vary and are dependent on volume at the Department of State.  Updated times are available at

How can I get Expedited Service?

If you need a passport in a hurry (3-4 weeks), the Department of State provides expedited service for an additional $60. Please contact a passport agency or center rather than the Library if you’re traveling in the next 1 to 3 weeks. Further details are available on the DOS Expedited Services webpage.

*Mailing times are not included in processing times. Processing times only include the time your application is at one of our passport agencies or centers. The total time to get your passport includes both processing and mailing times. It may take up to 2 weeks for applications to arrive by mail at a passport agency or center, and up to 2 weeks for you to receive a completed passport in the mail after we print it. Consider the total time it will take to receive your passport when you are booking travel.

Where can I get an official copy of my birth certificate?

If you were born in New Hampshire, visit the State Department of Health’s Vital Records page.

If you were born in another state, visit the CDC’s page with links to each state’s vital records contact information and website.

Where can I get information about the status of my application?

Status of an application can be checked via the Department of State’s website or by calling 877-487-2778.