Apply for a Passport at the Library
The Kimball Library is an official Passport Acceptance Facility for the U.S. Department of State (DOS).
An appointment is required for passport services.
Appointments may be made by calling the Library at 603-362-5234.
Passport Service Appointment Hours
Monday – Friday: 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM
Saturday: 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Additional Entry Requirements
As a Passport Acceptance Facility, the Library does not issue visas. If you plan to travel to a country which requires an entry visa, please contact the Consulate or Embassy of that particular country. Visa issuance normally takes from 2 weeks to 2 months. To check the visa or orther entry requirements for a specific country, please visit the website for the DOS Consular Information Program.
For new adult passports, any child passport, and any renewal of a passport issued more than 15 years ago, you’ll need to apply in person. When applying for a passport in person, for each individual you need to bring:
- A completed, unsigned application for passport (DS-11), filled out in black ink (download an application or fill out a form for printing)
- Evidence of U.S. citizenship
- A photo of yourself that meets DoS requirements. Passport photos are available at Wal-Mart, most pharmacies, and some US Post Offices.) Note: Atkinson Post Office does not provide passport application or photo services.
- Passport fee in check, money order or cashier’s check made out to “U.S. Department of State”. Fees vary — please consult the Department of State’s website and/ or verify the amount with a Library passport acceptant agent.
- Execution fee ($35) in cash, check, money order or cashier’s check made out to “Kimball Library.” We also accept VISA, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover credit cards for the Execution fee only.
** Please note that special requirements apply for children under the age of 18 **
Please contact a passport acceptance agent or refer to the appropriate DOS webpage for guidance:
Children 16 and 17
Children under 16
If you are renewing an expired adult passport issued within the last 15 years, you will have to apply by mail. Renewal forms are available online through the Department of State website and at the Kimball Library.
Frequently Asked Questions
Find passport application details on the Department of State passport page and from the National Passport Center (877-487-2778). The U.S. Department of State has the sole responsibility for examining applications and issuing passports.
How long does the appointment take?
Please allow up to 1 hour to 1 ½ hours if multiple family members are processing passports.
How long does it take to receive my passport?
Application processing times vary and are dependent on volume at the Department of State. Routine processing takes 4 to 6 weeks. Expedited processing takes 2 to 3 weeks. Updated times are available at https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/processing-times.html.
How can I get Expedited Service?
If you need a passport in a hurry (less than 4 to 6 weeks), the Department of State provides expedited service for an additional $60. Please contact a passport agency or center rather than the Library if you’re traveling in the next 2 to 3 weeks. Further details are available on the DOS Expedited Services webpage.
Where can I get an official copy of my birth certificate?
If you were born in New Hampshire, visit the State Department of Health’s Vital Records page.
If you were born in another state, visit the CDC’s page with links to each state’s vital records contact information and website.
Where can I get information about the status of my application?
Status of an application can be checked via the Department of State’s website or by calling 877-487-2778.